Category: ‘News’

Posted on February 20th, 2023


Goodshop logo full

Did you know that you can shop, save and support the Cheboygan County Humane Society with the goodshop program.  How it works sign up with goodshop at

You Shop:

Shop at your favorite stores through Goodshop- who has partnered with over 5,000+ of the top online stores liked and others.


You Save:

Save big on all your purchases with over 500,000 easy-to-access coupons that goodshop has listed on their site.


Goodshop Gives:

Once you’ve made a purchases with one of Goodshop’s participating stores, they make a donation in your honor to the Cheboygan County Humane Society.


Goodshop logo full

Cheboygan County Humane Society – Free Way to Support Us! (

Posted on December 16th, 2022

2023 Cheboygan County Dog Licenses



The Cheboygan County Humane Society would like to remind you why it is important to have a current license on your dog.

  1. It’s state law in Michigan.  (Did you know that if you do not have a dog license for the current year you can get a ticket?) Avoid getting a ticket and obtain your license starting December 1st.
  2. To control and prevent the spread of rabies.  (Obtaining a license is easy and since you have to have your dog rabies vaccinated to do so it prevents the spread of rabies).
  3. Identification to return lost dogs to their owners. (Dog licenses are used when stray dogs are picked up to identify the owner. If you have a licenses it is a quick way to make sure your lost pet finds his/her way home).

2023 Cheboygan Dog licenses should be in the shape of a Michigan Mitt.  2023 will be Purple in color.  If you don’t have this tag it is required to obtain.


Licenses are easy to get and if you get them before March 1st they are only half the price.

Before March 1st

Un-Neutered Male/Un-Spayed Female        $15.00

Spayed Female/Neutered Male                    $5.00

March 1st and After

Un-Neutered Male/Un-Spayed Female        $30.00

Spayed Female/Neutered Male                    $10.00

Get your licenses at:

The Cheboygan County Humane Society

Via Mail to the Cheboygan County Humane Society- (We will need a copy of your proof of rabies to renew or get your license, along with your address, name and phone number and all the details on your dog including sex, age, color, breed.)

Animal Medical Clinic of Cheboygan

Indian River Vet Clinic

Posted on August 25th, 2022

Parvovirus in Michigan

Parvovirus in Michigan

Update on Parvovirus in Michigan from MDARD and MSU

Updated information is available for the Aug. 2022 outbreak of Parvovirus in Northern Michigan. To see the full news release please click HERE.

Posted on February 27th, 2021

Animal Welfare Fund

Animal Welfare Fund

Don’t forget to √ the Michigan Animal Welfare Fund on your Michigan Tax refund.

Did you know that you can help with getting animals spayed or neutered when filing your Michigan Tax refund.  All you need to do is look for the box to help support the Michigan Animal Welfare Fund.  Help with the cause and check the box on your next return.

Did you know that you can help with getting animals spayed or neutered when filing your Michigan Tax refund.  All you need to do is look for the box to help support the Michigan Animal Welfare Fund.  Help with the cause and check the box on your next return.

Posted on April 25th, 2020

Important Facts about Covid

This information has been provided by the Best Friends Animal Society

learn more at

Can Covid-19 be spread from people to pet?

According to the CDC (, there have not been any reports of pets or other animals becoming sick with COVID-19.

If you are sick with COVID-19 (either suspected or confirmed), you should restrict contact with pets and other animals, just like you would around other people. Although there have not been reports of pets or other animals becoming sick with COVID-19, it is still recommended that people sick with COVID-19 limit contact with animals until more information is known about the virus.  This can help ensure both you and your animals stay healthy.

When possible, have another member of your household care for your animals while you are sick.  Avoid contact with your pet including, petting, snuggling, being kissed or licked, and sharing food.  If you must care for your pet or be around animals while you are sick, wash your hands before and after you interact with them.

WE encourage you to monitor this webpage ( for the latest updates.

Can COVID-19 be spread from pets to people or other pets?

According to the CDC (, there is currently no evidence that companion animals, including pets, can spread COVID-19 or that they might be a source of infection in the United States. There is also no evidence that the virus that causes COVID-19 can spread to people form the skin or fur of pets.

However, because all animals can carry germs that can make people sick, it’s always a good idea to practice healthy habits around pets and other animals.

  • Wash your hands after handling animals, their food, waste, or supplies.
  • Practice good pet hygiene and clean up after pets properly.
  • Take pets to the veterinarian regularly and talk to your veterinarian if you have questions about your pet’s health.

We encourage you to monitor this webpage ( for the latest updates.

My pet is sick but I’m not able to leave my house.  How can I get help?

As concerns grow surrounding COVID-19 and the impact it will have on our country, Best Friends is offering free veterinary consultations for 30 days to people unable to leave their homes through our Best Friends Vet Access app ( when you use the code BFHELPS.

Calls can be recorded and the service will be offered 24 hours a day.  If you need medical assistance for your pet, please take advantage of this temporarily free service. Please note, the code BFHELPS is valid for 30 days, and the service is $12.99 after that unless cancelled.

Download the app ( for free.

What should I do to prepare for my pet’s care, just in case I do get sick?

Here are some key actions you can take to prepare and help ensure the safety and care of your pets:

We recommend having on hand at least a one-month supply of your pets’ medications, litter and food, as well as making sure your pets are current with vaccinations and that you have records.  The CDC advises people to put together a complete pet disaster preparedness kit ( as part of an overall household readiness plan (

You can also check out Best Friend’s Animal Society’s pet natural disaster checklist and emergency plan ( and natural disaster preparedness for families with pets ( for more ideas on how to prepare.

If I am sick and need to be hospitalized, where can my pet stay?

Create a plan for your pet now, just in case you face illness or another emergency.  Reach out to family, friends, your regular pet sitter and neighbors to see who can temporarily care for your pet if you are hospitalized.  Research doggy daycare centers, kennels and vet offices that provide overnight and extended care and have their contact information handy in case of an emergency.

Have pet preparedness kits ( ready for all animals in your family.  They should include information about each animal, updated vet records, medications and food.  Be sure everyone in your household can locate these kits.

Find more tips and advice on emergency preparedness and pets. (

Can I still take my dog for a walk?

If you are healthy, outdoor activities are safe when practiced within the current guidelines. According to the CDC (, you should avoid touching surfaces and stay at least six feet away from other people.  Outdoor breaks are good for you and your pup during this challenging time.

If you are sick, it’s a good idea to have another member of your household care for your animals if possible. Avoid contact with your pet including, petting, snuggling, being kissed or licked and sharing food.  If you must care for your pet or be around animals while you are sick, wash your hands before and after you interact with them.

Source (

I lost my job and I’m struggling to feed my pet. What can I do?

Our financial aid for pets ( resources is a comprehensive list of resources that offer assistance for pet guardians who are struggling financially, as well as senior citizens, people with disabilities and people who are seriously ill.

You can also contact your local animal shelter, humane society or SPCA. Often times, these organizations can help provide pet food to families in need.  In addition, many local food banks and food pantries that have good assistance programs for people will also provide pet food.  If you are unsure who to contact in your area, please let us know where you live and what resources you are looking for and we will work to find facilities in your area.

If you are in need of cat or dog food and live in Cheboygan or Presque Isle County please give us a call at 231-238-8221 and we can put your name on some food to be picked up here at the shelter. 

I found a stray animal and my local shelter is closed.  What should I do?

Cheboygan Residence please contact Animal Control by dialing 911.

If my pet becomes lost, where sould I start looking?

  • Your local shelter my be open by appointment only or may be closed to the public entirely, so we advise that you contact the shelter beofre you visit. The shelter may have additional instructions regarding lost pets. (Cheboygan and Presque Isle County residence please call the shelter at 231-238-8221 for lost animals if we are not here leave a message with your animals information, location and a description of the animal). You can also send the information to us via Facebook our name is Cheboygan County Humane Society (official fb page)
  • If your pet is microchipped, contact the microchip company to put out a lost pet alert on your pet’s microchip number.  Make sure your contact information is up to date.
  • Create a lost pet flyer (free flyer-maker programs is available at ( and circulate it across social channels.  Examples include: Lost and found Facebook groups, Craigslist, Nextdoor, etc. You could also print hard copies of the flyer to distribute around your neighborhood.
  • Call local vet clinics and hospitals to see if they’ve received any animals and offer to send them a digital copy of the flyer to have on hand.

More tips about how to find your lost pet can be found at

I cannot keep my pet anymore, what should I do?

We know this is a difficult time for many and are sorry to hear you are no longer able to keep your pet.  Here are some key things you can do to find your pet a new home.

  • Cheboygan and Presque Isle County residence please call the shelter at 231-238-8221 the shelter might be able to help you place the animal into a new home or help in someway. 
  • We recommend you prepare your animal for adoption to the best of your ability. It’s helpful for your pet to be spayed or neutered and up-to-date on vaccinations. Also, be sure to have all your pet’s medical records and files ready for the new adopter.  Adopters are always interested to know about their new pet’s current and previous medical history to ensure they can prepare for and care for them properly.
    • Note: During this national emergency there is a chance clinics and vet offices will be closed, so you might not be able to update your pets’ vaccines or get them sterilized.  If this is the case, just let your new adopter know and share any previous records.
  • Advertise your pet! Take some great photos and write a biography to help people make a connection with your animals. Once photos and a description are ready, create a flyer (you can make a free one at and distribute in as many places as possible (Facebook, Instagram, Next Door, Craigslist, etc).
  • Rehome sites like can also be very helpful in spreading the word and help you find a new adopter.
  • Use word of mouth and community contacts. Word of mouth should not be underestimated. Tell anyone and everyone about a pet who needs a home and ask friends, co-workers and family members to help spread the word.  It could be that a co-worker’s father, neighbor, daughter or other distant relative or friend might be looking for a new pet.  Ask people you know to mention the animal in their church’s newsletter, send an e-mail about the pet through their office memo system or share some flyers in their own network.
  •  During this time, many shelters and even rescue organizations may not be accepting new animals. Even if they can’t take your pet, some may offer courtesy postings on their websites or have alternative ideas to help you share your pet’s information with adoptive or foster homes. (We will share your information, look into our want book, and see how we might be able to help you. Please make contact with Dawn at 231-238-8221).

If you need to rehome your pet due to economic circumstances and changes, resources may be available to help you. Please contact us ( or your local shelter to see what services might be available. (Please reach out to use if you are a Cheboygan or Presque Isle residence we may be able to help 231-238-8221 we do have a food bank but please call us before coming out).

Please visit to learn more information about rehoming your pet.

I found injured wildlife. What can I do?

Cheboygan County Residence please call 911 to speak with a Conservation Officer. 

Before attempting to rescue any wild animal, please read Wild animal rescue: Orphaned or injured wildlife ( It’s important to read this resource first because every year many young  wild animals are “rescued” by well-meaning people who assume that the young animals are orphans.  Often, the parents are nearby and the young animals do not need to be rescued at all.

If you have determined that a wild mammal does indeed need to be rescued, the following resources will provide insight on safety precautions, how to find a wildlife rehabilitator and more:

Wildlife animal rescue: Safety precautions (

Wildlife rehabilitator: How to fine one (

How to help an injured wild bird (

Baby bird rescue (

We here at the Cheboygan county Humane Society recommend that you not handle wildlife and call 911 to speak with a Conservations Officer for advise on what to do with the animals. 

These resources at are being frequently updated as more is known about the spread of COVID-19 so check back often.  If you have further questions or know of local resources that may be helpful, please reach out to

If you are a Cheboygan County or Presque Isle County residence and have any questions please give us a call at 231-238-8221 or email us at or

Next Page »